Cairns Regional Gallery offers a diverse range of learning experiences suitable for students of all ages and abilities.
TOURS & WORKSHOPS
The Galleryís education program consists of guided tours, workshops and outreach projects designed for early childhood, primary, secondary and tertiary students.
The aim of these programs is to:
- Introduce a range of artworks and artistic styles to students
- Engage students in the interpretation of artworks
- Connect industry professionals with students and teachers
- Allow students to explore new ideas and materials
When planning a visit to Cairns Regional Gallery teachers can choose from:
- Guided tours offered by Gallery Guides (approximately 45 minutes)
- Self Guided tours (Secondary and tertiary groups only)
- Guided tour with a short practical activity (Early childhood and primary schools only - 1 hour)
- Specialist workshops run by local artists are offered in conjunction with some exhibitions during the year. These are available to all age groups. Education centres will be notified when such workshops are available.
Cost: The cost for all tours is $1/ primary/secondary students or $2/ tertiary students. A guided tour with gallery run workshop costs $2/primary student.
Education kits accompany many major exhibitions at Cairns Regional Gallery. The kits are designed to assist education centres researching exhibitions before and after a Gallery visit. These are provided free of charge to schools. Please contact the Public Programs Manager to find out if an exhibition has an education kit and if you would like one sent to you.
The following education kits from previous exhibitions at the Cairns Regional Gallery are available for schools to download.
- Images of the North - Focuses on the Cairns Regional Gallery Collection. The 14 works of art featured in the kit showcases the inspiration artists have drawn from the regionsí unique landscape and diverse cultures.
- The Artistís Studio - Gives an insight into both Ron McBurnie's art practice as a printmaker and into the subject of artists studios as unique spaces where artists create.
- Ilan Pasin: This is our Way - Ilan Pasin reveals the evolution and strength of the somewhat hidden culture of the Torres Strait Islands, presenting artefacts from the nineteenth century alongside works from contemporary artists exploring issues of tradition and identity.
- Encounters With Country: Landscapes of Ray Crooke - Designed to inspire an interest in the tradition of Australian Landscape Painting.
- Anneke Silver: Linked Lanscapes - Download the primary kit or the secondary kit
- Transience Touring Exhibition Education Kit
Booking A Tour
Prior to booking your tour please read through the Tour Group Information Guide to assist you in both planning your excursion and enjoying your time spent at Cairns Regional Gallery.
The required ratio of teacher/adults to students for Gallery visits is as follows:
- Preschool and prep - 1:5
- Years 1-7 - 1:10
- Years 8-12 - 1:15
All tours must be booked at least 2 weeks in advance to ensure Gallery staff are available and prepared for your groups requirements. Once your booking has been finalised a confirmation letter will be sent by fax. Please check that the details are correct.
Completed booking forms should be forwarded to the Public Programs Manager by fax to 4031 6410, email to email@example.com, or post to PO Box 7784 Cairns 4870.
If you have any specific questions regarding tour or workshop bookings please contact the Public Programs Manager on 4046 4888 or by email.